To lead the DevOps function, ensuring the live, test and development environments are suitably available, performant, and cost effective to support the provision and development of services for our clients. The role is hands-on within the Software development team and includes the responsibility for building, monitoring and maintaining robust and innovative software solutions in the field of intelligent water management systems. To contribute to the strategy of the team, meet the company’s goals and objectives, and improve the quality of the service it delivers internally and externally. Be a part of the professional culture within the team, where individuals take ownership and are fastidious and proud of delivering excellence and quality.
Reports to the Software Development Manager
- DevOps, Release Management and delivery of software to production with high quality.
- Resolve support issues where your experience is required to ascertain the issue quickly and to find the more appropriate resolution. Be available ‘out of hours’ if required to complete specific tasks and support customers. This is not a usual and regular occurrence
- Automation of build, deployment, continuous integration, acceptance, integration and security testing (AWS CodeBuild, AppVeyor and TeamCityt)
- Automation of manual processes using Powershell, Python and Unix Shell (bash, ksh)
- Installing, Configuring, Administering, and Tuning of Application Servers, and WebServers (Tomcat, IIS and Nginx).
- Supporting databases including Aurora, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Cassandra and Redis
- Linux/UNIX and Windows system administration, both physical and virtual systems.
- Deploying and automating infrastructure and applications in cloud environment using AWS CloudFormation and Terraform.
- Design and implementation of containers/applications using Docker, Packer in scalable HA/DR multi-tier cloud environments.
- Performance Testing/Tuning/Monitoring, maximizing system uptime, availability and security, ensuring functional and performance SLAs.
- Co-ordinate with external security testing companies regular penetration tests, and manage the prioritisation and resolution of any findings.
- Development and usage of monitoring systems from technologies such as AWS CloudTrail, Prometheus and Graphana.
- Strive to automate software testing and deployment at every opportunity.
- Produce well written documentation and architecture diagrams.
- Provide sensible estimates for work items and consistently deliver against them.
Software Team contribution
- Help drive the strategic direction of the software development team taking into account emerging and legacy technologies.
- Help facilitate the smooth delivery of all projects, enhancements and support delivered by the team.
- Contribute to technology selection and methodology decisions, including standardisation of system architecture, reusable code base, development best practice, source control and deployment processes.
- Participate in the team’s agile software development process.
- Working closely with Development, QA, Product Management, and Production Ops teams to make sure Product Releases on-time with quality.
- Understand how own performance relates to team and Company objectives and act accordingly.
- Contribute to the culture of promoting new ideas, up-sell opportunities and costing down development and maintenance within the team and i2O Water.
- Actively mentor team members one to one and promote knowledge sharing within the team by presenting lunch and learn sessions.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer you are:
- You have a BSc (or higher) in a computing or scientific/engineering discipline, or equivalent demonstrable experience.
- 1+ years commercial software development and systems architecture.
- Designing, implementing and supporting high availability services on AWS.
- Strong Automation, problem-solving skills, and ability to follow through to completion.
- Broad range of AWS technologies (e.g. EC2, RDS, ELB, S3, CloudWatch)
- Docker and ECS
- AWS Security
- Web API
- RDBMS + NoSQL
- Good understanding of data and information security
- Configuration and support of various network devices and services (e.g, routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS, DNS) `
Location – Office Headquarters, Southampton SO16
Hours – 37.5 hours per week